Friday, July 5, 2013

Blog Design: Living Your Passion by Design



 
It still absolutely amazes me After all these years that I still get so much joy from being an interior designer. There is nothing like having a great client and fun project! It doesn't matter what's going on before the appointment and how I'm feeling when I walk in. When I walk out of the presentation and it's a great design I am elated! It all just feels right… Pure joy.... I'm so grateful that I get to do this every day.

I still think about the day when I was 12, went to mother excited and joyful and expressed my desire to be an interior designer when I grew up... She looked at me with a look of pity and told me that I would never be able to make a living as an interior designer and that I needed to find a less competitive industry... "What about accounting"? she asked me.
I remember how my heart sank as I turned and walked away. I tucked that desire away as I practiced design as a hobby... but, never thought that I could make a living at it. It wasn't until I had two bachelor degrees in different fields that I realized that my "hobby" was far more fun than anything else I was working toward. Did I really want to finish graduate school and endure more statistical analysis... or did I want to play with paint, fabric and be creative all day. It's not really a hard choice when you think of it that way.

It was at that point that I decided to officially be a designer. I have always had clients. I had always made money and worked from referrals while putting myself through school... to do something else. I was doing design for pay before I even graduated from high school. I just never looked at it as a career. I always considered it a hobby.

I am a slow learner... But, it only adds to the joy and gratitude that I feel everyday when I practice what is really deep in my soul. My career is part of who I am. It is intertwined in my personality, thoughts and unconscious interpretations.  

I wish everyone the gift of finding their passion and embarking on that journey. You can create the life you want. You can have your Lifestyle by Design.


Designing a life with grace and ease 

No comments:

Post a Comment