Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BLOG Savvy4Less: Easy Savings by Design!




I could write about Grocery shopping everyday for a year and not run out of tips, tools and techniques to help you save....

The big thing is that people ALWAYS tell me that it's just too much of a hassle to think about and deal with...



My ex husband used to be horrified and embarrassed that I used coupons.
It injured his ego. He would say that he made enough money that his wife didn't need to cut coupons... It was a personal hit to him every time we went shopping... UNTIL I broke down what I saved and put that money in an account. When that account built up to a certain level - I paid cash for a high end time share in Mexico. After that, he would smile to himself every time he stood in line with me and I would use coupons.




My grandfather was financially successful AND selectively frugal.
He spent money on the things he wanted and that mattered: A boat, travel, his Cadillac...
He saved on things that mattered less to him: groceries, meals, daily essentials. He used coupons and was careful with his money on a daily basis. He even went as far as to buy towels that were less fluffy, because they took too long to dry in the dryer....

As a young single mother, I learned to take on this practice. Maybe not as extreme in some instances.. However, It has never left. I could care less what people think of me when I use a coupon, because I know the value of a dollar.

I want to live at a certain standard, and have the lifestyle by design that I create.


One way that I do that is to take advantage of easy offers!


Here are two EASY offers:

Target 
offers a Red Card. It's a debit card that you apply for through target. It is not a credit card. It is a debit card that is attached directly to your checking account.

You receive 5% off of your purchase when you use the Red card. 
That's an easy 5% savings!

Target has the best clearance and sales: including on grocery items, toiletries and items 
that you need daily.

Why do they offer this benefit to customers?

  1. They track your purchases to send you better offers. In addition, forecasting sales is an important part of retailing. It helps them know what to purchase, and offer for sale. It also dictates the quantity that they order from manufactures. This actually saves the retailer money, because they don't end up with left overs and loose money having to throw it away or liquidate merchandise. That savings trickles down to consumers. Having purchases tracked freaks some people out... but, it's actually a positive in many ways.
  2. When a consumer use an outside source - credit card or debit card, Target is charged a service fee. By offering you 5% savings, they in turn are saving a fee as well. They are splitting the difference with the consumer. It's a win / win... Good business!




I save a minimum of 50% every time I grocery shop, without much effort at all.
Once you make it part of your routine, it is automatic and you don't think about it much. I too can shop and end up getting most items for free; just like the extreme savings you see on tv shows and in print.

However, this does take a lot of work and energy. I think it overwhelms people. I prefer to make it easy and accessible for everyone. Just because I know how... doesn't mean that I am pressured to do so. Take the tips you want and that work for you, and leave the rest behind...






Safeway has one of the best loyalty reward grocery programs around. They offer discounts on staples like meat, produce, dairy, alcohol and health foods. Some only give you savings on packaged and unhealthy items, forcing people that are trying to save into buying things that are not good for them....


Loyalty Reward Benefits:
  • Get your flu shot at Safeway and they will give you a coupon for 10% off of your total purchase. (there are restrictions read carefully)
  • Try free grocery delivery.
  • Reward points toward gas discounts
  • Purchase 7 cafe sandwiches and get the 8th FREE.
  • Transfer Prescription and get $25 reward.
  • Regular Freebies added to your card
  • Weekly Specials.
  • Purchase 6 or more bottles of alcohol and receive an additional 10% off.
  • Just 4 You Programs: 
  • Coupon Center - no clipping. It's added to your card
  • Personalized deals - calculated just 4 you based on your purchase history. (this is how you end up with the items that you normally buy like produce and health foods instead of frozen pizza)
  • Club Specials - based on geography and availability.
  • Once you have selected the savings that you want to take advantage of online at Safeway.com... They will email you the list with pictures of the items so they are easy to find in the store... EASY offer and tools to make you successful at SAVING!

Take Advantage of Different Ways to Layer Your Savings!
  • You can use paper manufacturers coupons in addition to the digital savings added to your card. Check out the blog about Savings On Steriods... You can print out coupons and get benefits from the sites mentioned, as well as at SAFEWAY! I am not only saving over 50% at Safeway... I am layering my savings and getting points and credit at one of the online sites listed in my blog as well :-)
  • You can add rebates too which is an additional layer... Sometimes they are hanging on products! Keep your eye out!
  • Look for tags hanging on products: including wine... to mail in and add an additional layer to save even more! 



  • Look for Coupon Tickers / Dispensers to next to products that you are interested in...




Even if you don't opt for the additional savings - 
the 50% off is an EASY Offer to take advantage of!

&

A few of My Favorite Deals!

Top 5 Favorite Ways to Design Your Savings!

Coffee Club for My Lifestyle

But....

It Should ALL Start Here!



Happy Saving and don't forget to sign up for updates!!! 






Designing a life with grace and ease 

No comments:

Post a Comment